Aquila (‘The Trust’) is the Diocese of Canterbury’s Multi-Academy Trust Limited (MAT), and was incorporated as a charitable company limited by guarantee in May 2014 (Company number 09035788).
The trust has been imagined and planned to enable flexibility and responsiveness to local context and needs. We are reflective and forward thinking so our organisational structures will evolve as appropriate, influenced by geography, existing collaborative networks and the pace of academy conversions.
Our Articles support a model which unleashes potential, enabling us to;
- deliver positive, immediate support and interventions through our own expertise and established consultant partners, as well as wider regional connections
- enhance learning and teaching by engaging in collaborative pedagogical projects, action research and professional development with Christ Church University
- encourage and nurture the dissemination of good practice and promote mutual accountability
- enable focused, effective local governance and secure options for centralised functions and economies of scale
- incorporate community as well as church schools
Initially starting with just one Academy, the trust grew rapidly and we now have 13 academies across Kent. Schools have joined for a variety of reasons; some as a result of difficult Ofsted inspections while others have elected to convert as a result of the impact of our work and our school improvement offer. Each school within the trust embodies our values and collaborates: sharing practice and using the expertise from across the trust to develop, refine and improve teaching and learning.
Our approach to all aspects of school improvement has continued to evolve. Everyone working in our academies strives to ensure the best possible outcomes for the children in our care and that goes beyond the classroom. The trust model of collaborative working to find solutions to problems covers all areas including leadership, site and business management and governance.
To find out more about each of our schools please click here:
Our mission from the beginning has been to support develop and improve. We now have 10 of 13 schools that have undertaken Ofsted inspections while being members of Aquila. Many of these had been graded as inadequate or requiring improvement prior to the trust taking over their management. Eight are now graded good and three outstanding. Some of these schools had never received a good or better judgement prior to them joining the trust so our record of achievement speaks for itself.
Kingsnorth CE Primary School was one of 34 schools nationally to be awarded the status as a result of sustained high standards in phonics and early reading. The aim of the English Hubs is to promote a love of reading and Kingsnorth English Hub are supporting schools and academies across the South East to deliver and provide excellent phonics and early language teaching.
Literacy specialists within each hub will provide tailored support to schools. This includes:
- running events to showcase excellent practice in teaching phonics and reading
- bespoke, focused support to local schools to develop their practice
For more information, please click here: